Step Away From The Butter

Butter.

It’s tasty. It’s versatile. It’s a nice shade of yellow. And while I don’t actually blame it for my jeans not fitting around Thanksgiving of last year, I totally blame it for my jeans not fitting around Thanksgiving of last year. To be fair sugar, cheese, maple syrup and garlic bread probably share some of the blame.

I’ve never been tiny so the weight gain was, literally, nothing new but it seemed a bad trend with no end in sight if I kept cooking and eating and OMG I MUST MAKE <INSERT DESSERTY ITEM HERE>!!!!!!1.

But weight and women can be complicated. Do I really blame butter? No. (I wish it were that simple!) It’s, of course, all about choices. The first and most important choices I made were around how I wanted to feel and less around what I wanted to eat. I wanted to feel  more comfortable, more confident and more accomplished. I was tired of wanting to lose weight, losing some, gaining some, losing some, gaining some etc. etc. forever and ever. When I looked at how I was spending my free time, it was spent making myself hungry. You fellow food bloggers — MAN — you make and photograph some delicious looking things. Especially pies. And pots de crème. And gratins of all sorts. My mouth was constantly watering. Wait, watering? CHEWING. My mouth was constantly chewing.

Not all women have weight or food issues. Not all food bloggers have weight or food issues. Losing weight and food blogging had a hard time coexisting in *my* world but I can see (and have read!) how the two can go hand in hand for others. I tried to write an I’m-putting-my-blog-on-hold post about 100 times but the words just wouldn’t lay neatly on the page. I think initially, with the risk of failing or feeling foolish, I sort of kept it quiet. It’s now, 58 pounds later, that I don’t mind sharing where I’ve been and what I’ve been doing because HI, I HAVE ALL NEW PANTS.

I can’t promise I’ll post more. I’m wondering and debating if I could resurrect this little piece of internet real estate and post recipes of healthier fare and maybe talk about running a little? Like I could tell you that I had to ice my knee today and it made me feel like a total badass. Or I could tell you something about how it looks like I killed a guy in my kitchen because I roasted three beets for a salad tomorrow. That’d be OK, yeah?

So thank you all for the comments and notes checking in on me. So kind of you! I am doing really really well. Really well. Thank you for asking and I hope you’re doing at least three really-s worth of well, too. XOXO.

12 Comments

1. Posted June 27, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Congrats on the 58 pounds and the new pants (WOW!!), and you have been missed! I would be interested in hearing more from you– healthier fare, running victories, anything much– but nevertheless wish you the best if you choose to keep quiet. I’m a fan and enjoy your take on food, but it can get overwhelming, or rather, just too much to chew through : )

2. Posted June 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Awesome, girl!

Have you seen this site?

3. Posted June 28, 2011 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Though I’ve never posted here before, I had been reading your blog before your haitus. And I have been wondering where you went.
    But it’s totally fine! I’d read about ALL those things that you mentioned!

4. Posted June 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

If you want to write about it, I want to read about it. xoxo noelle

5. Posted June 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you’re back! But, completely respect *why* you were gone. I would LOVE to read more about eating healthy and living healthy!

6. altrooheather
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Leanne! Thank you for the kind words and support! Too much to chew through indeed! Haha!

7. altrooheather
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Ooo I hadn’t! Some good stuff there! I like wholeliving.com a lot, too. Do you ever go there? It’s Martha, so it’s real nice.

8. altrooheather
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Aww thanks, Noelle. Making me day!

9. altrooheather
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks for understanding my plight, One Thousand Awesome Things! It’s much appreciated. : )

10. altrooheather
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Ursula! For some reason your comment went into spam! That’s silly — you are not spam! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it very much. : )

11. Lucy
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

We support you but we miss you. Maybe one or two recipes per month? You can post about your running too. Oh my… I really miss you. ;0)

12. heather b.
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Lucy! You comment gave me a little kick in the pants and I made a salad! : ) Thank you for the very kind words. I appreciate it.